Wednesday 7 March 2012

To strap or not to strap


16''x8'' Crescent tail with strap

16''x8''Cresent Tail with strap
                                                                         

  Same but different or different but same?  I was really surprised after a fun session in the small surf at Kawana beach a little while ago. I took both the handplanes pictured above out on the same day and was pleasantly surprised to find no real difference in the performance of the two boards . They  are identical apart from one having a  strap and the other a slot in the nose . I was also able to swim just as easily with the slotted nosed board as i could with the strapped board . The simpisity of the slotted board is really attractive to me as effectively its just a piece of shaped  timber but what that piece of timber allows you to do on a wave gives such a buzz. I am playing with some smaller handplanes for use in larger surf at the moment and so far i have beeen making these with a strap but there is one on the workbench that might just get a hole in his nose . I'll keep you posted!!