Monday 5 March 2012

A little bit about my handplanes

     

 A little info about my handplanes . The timber used in all my boards is paulownia which  is a locally grown and renewable resource . It also has a great strength to weight ratio and is very resistant to water absorption which makes it ideal for use in the making of these little boards .  So far i have been sealing all my handplanes paipo and alaia with a mixture of gum turpentine and linseed oil .  Though i am currently experimenting with a bio varnish that i have been getting good reports on and I hope that within a couple of weeks i will be able to offer handplanes coated with this environmentally friendly product .My linseed oil handplanes require re coating from time to time depending on how often you use them (usually every 4 to 6 weeks for me) whilst handplanes coated with  bio varnish may not require re coating for up to two years . Once again depending on how often you use it and how well you treat it. For more info feel free to email me at ecoride@y7mail.com